57 families in Sarangani village flee due to tension cracks
November 22, 2019 - Friday 6:11 PM by PNAGROUND CRACKS. A resident of Sitio Lilab, Barangay Pag-asa in Alabel, Sarangani stands on the edge of one of the huge tension cracks that emerged early this week near his home and other parts of their community. The municipal government has implemented the forced evacuation of 57 families from the area, as recommended by the Mines and Geosciences Bureau 12 (Soccsksargen). Photo courtesy of Pag-asa barangay chairman Rose Mae Orlino/PDRRMO-Sarangani
GENERAL SANTOS CITY -- At least 57 families from an upland village in Alabel town, Sarangani province, have evacuated due to huge ground cracks that were believed to have triggered a landslide.
Alabel Mayor Vic Paul Salarda said Thursday that they implemented the forced evacuation of residents from Sitio Lilab in Barangay Pag-asa as the area is no longer safe due to the ground cracks.
Salarda said a landslide occurred in the area at about 6 a.m. on Monday but no casualty was reported.
Citing records from the municipal disaster risk reduction and management office (MDRRMO), he said a total of 57 families or 239 individuals, all indigenous peoples, were affected by the incident.
The evacuees have taken temporary shelter, mostly with relatives, in Sitio Canaan in the same village.
On Wednesday, a team from the provincial and municipal DRRMOs, with technical assistance from the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) 12 (Soccsksargen), assessed the area.
Based on the accounts of residents, Salarda said they reportedly heard rumbling sounds underneath the ground before the emergence of the tension cracks.
“After a few minutes, they saw the ground move and the huge tension cracks emerged,” he said in an interview.
Salarda said they advised all residents in the community to immediately evacuate to ensure their safety as the tension cracks could trigger major landslides.
He said the local government is assisting the affected residents and evaluating possible relocation sites in the area.
Rene Punzalan, head of PDRRMO-Sarangani, said MGB-12 has declared the village as a “no build and settlement zone.”
He said they considered the ground rupture as a result of the recent earthquakes “but we’re still waiting for the technical findings of MGB-12.” PNA
Persons affected by Taal eruption reach 96K
MANILA -- The eruption of Taal Volcano has so far affected 96,000 individuals, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Manag ...2 hours ago
DILG rallies support for new PNP chief
MANILA -- The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) is throwing its full support for newly-appointed Philipp ...2 hours ago
UCCP denies violating laws on Haran operations
DAVAO CITY -- United Church of Christ in the Philippines (UCCP) Mindanao Bishop Hamuel Tequis on Thursday denied allegations the H ...1 day ago
Relief goods for Taal-hit areas on the way from Davao
DAVAO CITY -- Around 8,000 food packs and other non-food items have already been transported by Davao City to families affected by ...2 days ago