Chinese Consulate, community donate P1.5M for flood victims
September 10, 2019 - Tuesday 4:09 PM by Funny Pearl A. GajuneraHELP FOR FLOOD VICTIMS. City Administrator Zuleika Lopez receives from Chinese Consul General Li Lin some of the materials donated by the Chinese Consulate and the Chinese community for victims of the August 28 floods. ARJOY M. CENIZA
“We are joined together with Chinese enterprises and Chinese businessmen here in Davao to help our family members who were affected by the flood.” -- Chinese Consul General Li Lin
NO CASH. The Chinese Consulate and Chinese community had intended to give cash to the city government but the latter refused, preferring to accept donations in the form of goods. Arjoy M. Ceniza
DAVAO CITY -- The Chinese Consulate in Davao City together with Chinese business owners donated goods for the benefit of victims of the August 28 flood that affected at least 13,000 individuals.
On Monday afternoon, the Chinese delegates headed by Consul General Li Lin handed over the non-food materials to the city government of Davao amounting to P1.5 million.
Lin said with the creation of the Chinese consulate in Davao City last year, his office has created a good relationship with the Davaoeños and he feels that it is only right to help the city in times of disaster.
“We are joined together with Chinese enterprises and Chinese businessmen here in Davao to help our family members who were affected by the flood,” he said.
Lin said the items they have purchased are part of the list of most-needed items given by the city government to them.
Lin said they had intended to give the cash to the city government but the latter refused, preferring to accept donations in the form of goods.
“Actually we’ve been discussing if it is possible for us to donate in cash but the city government insisted that we purchase the goods instead of donating cash. Obviously we feel the transparency and good government,” he said.
City Social Services and Development Office (CSSDO) head Maria Luisa Bermudo said as much as possible her office will distribute the donated goods evenly to all the affected individuals.
“The most affected area is the Talomo District. Sixty percent of the affected individuals are living in Talomo. We will prioritize them but we will also make it available to the other affected individuals,” Bermudo said.
The City Council had declared four barangays under a state of calamity following the flash floods triggered by thunderstorms.
At the same time, the city government allocated P50 million worth of assistance to the victims of floods.
The four barangays heavily hit by the floods are Talomo, Wangan, Los Amigos, and Tugbok.
Earlier, City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office (CDRRMO) operations head Rodrigo Bustilo said an estimated 15,000 households living near the rivers here will be removed once these areas are declared “No-build and Habitation Zones” as these are highly prone to floods and landslides.
Bustilo told MDM that the people living in these areas should be removed to prevent further eventualities that will result in the loss of lives and properties.
Bustilo said the City Planning and Development Office (CPDO) is currently finalizing the areas to be declared as “No-build and Habitation Zones.”
“This is our recommendation because we do not want to rescue always,” he said.
The CDRRMO identified the areas prone to floods are Dike, Phase 3, NHA Bangkal in Barangay Talomo; Purok Lugot, Suraya Homes in Cabantian; Purok 23, Kuot, Davao Impress Subdivision in Barangay Sasa; San Juan Village, Bangkal in Barangay Talomo; Taal Riverside in Talomo and New San Isidro in Buhangin.
The landslide-prone areas are Purok Damayan in Barangay Buhangin Proper; Old Smokey Mountain in Barangay Matina Pangi; Quinones Compound in Barangay Matina Crossing; Purok 29-B, SPDA in Barangay Panacan; Phase 1, Greenland Subdivision in Barangay Cabantian; Purok 46, San Vicente in Barangay Talomo; Phase 3, Wellspring in Catalunan Pequeño; Abrazaldo Compound in Matina Crossing; and Sitio Gulay, Sincere Subdivision in Catalunan Pequeño
Bustilo added this is a long-term solution in which all people living in the hazard zones will be evacuated and placed in safer areas.
He said they are awaiting for a City Council resolution declaring these areas as “No-build, Habitation Zones.” With a report from Ruth Palo
LOOK: Road accident leaves 8 dead in Davao City
IN PHOTOS: Rescuers from Central 911 pull out bodies from under sacks of rice from a trailer truck that had rammed into several vehi ...3 months ago
NUJP condemns ‘mistaken identity’ arrest of journalist
DAVAO CITY -- The National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP) on Monday condemned the arrest of journalist a ...3 months ago
‘Marilyn’ floods 11 Zambo villages
ZAMBOANGA CITY -- A total of 754 families here were displaced as 11 barangays were inundated by flood, brought about by the bad we ...11 hours ago