Davao City to give P10M aid to five ‘Usman’-hit provinces
January 03, 2019 - Thursday 6:01 PM by Funny Pearl A. Gujanera
DAVAO CITY -- The City Government of Davao will give financial aid to the five provinces affected by tropical storm Usman in Luzon.
On Thursday, the City Council approved P10 million worth of assistance that will be given to Oriental Mindoro, Sorsogon, Albay, Camarines Sur, and Camarines Norte.
Each province will receive P1 million cash assistance and relief goods that will be distributed to the affected families. The remaining P5 million will be used for relief goods for people in evacuation areas in the five provinces.
Newly appointed City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council (CDRRMO) head Alfredo Baluran said that the budget will come from the 2019 Quick Response Fund (QRF) of the city.
“The P10 million will come from the QRF, P5 million of which will be in cash. The local government will decide on how they are going to use it. The remaining P5 million will be in the form of relief goods for those victims who are still in the evacuation area,” Baluran said.
The provinces of Sorsogon, Albay, and Camarines Sur will receive relief goods worth P5 million.
Central 911 head Emmanuel Jaldon said that since there is difficulty in accessing Oriental Mindoro and Camarines Norte, the city will only send financial assistance to the said provinces.
For 2019, the city has a total of P130.8 million QRF that will be used in times of disaster in the city and to aid other Local Government Units (LGU) that are under a state of calamity.
More than a million families were affected by Usman in the five provinces.
Baluran said this will be the first batch the city will help since other provinces are still under assessment.
“We cannot give assistance to those provinces that are not under state of calamity. We need to wait for them. Rest assured, the city will help other areas that are also affected by the typhoon,” he said.
This developed as Malacañang said President Rodrigo R. Duterte is scheduled to visit today (Friday) areas hit by “Usman.”
“We’re scheduled to visit tomorrow sa (in) Bicol area, Camarines Sur. We will check on the stricken areas para malaman natin kung ano pang kailangang gawin (to find out what else we need to do),” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a Palace briefing.
The latest report from the Office of Civil Defense in the Bicol region showed that the death toll due to “Usman” has climbed to 105.
The highest death toll was reported in Camarines Sur with 57 validated deaths, followed by Albay with 18, Camarines Norte with 15, Sorsogon with eight, and Masbate with seven.
Meanwhile, there were 53 injured and 23 missing. With reports from PNA
Davao court junks Trillanes plea to defer arraignment
DAVAO CITY -- Opposition Senator Antonio Trillanes IV suffered a legal setback at the Regional Trial Court (RTC) handling the four ...1 week ago
SWS survey shows 84% believe PH democracy works
Contrary to the declaration made by Senator Antonio Trillanes IV that democracy in the Philippines had “officially” died last month whe ...3 months ago
3 Davao cops caught drinking beer in public sacked
DAVAO CITY -- Three police officers who were caught on video drinking beer inside a restaurant in their uniforms have been relieve ...7 hours ago
1 dead, 2 missing in Davao Oriental flash flood
DAVAO CITY – One person was killed, two were injured, and two others have gone missing when rapid flooding of a “dead ...1 day ago