DoH cites Davao City's success in anti-polio immunization drive
October 21, 2020 - Wednesday 8:10 PM by Davao City Information OfficeCIO FILE PHOTO
The Department of Health has cited Davao City's success in the government's “Sabayang Patak Kontra Polio” Campaign despite some challenges faced during the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) pandemic.
Davao City through the City Health Office achieved 102.52 percent or 4,711 more from the target 186,864 children to receive the oral polio vaccine during the final round of the anti-polio campaign from July 20 to August 2, 2020.
Dr. Julinda Acosta, the head of the Technical Division of CHO, attributed the success of the campaign to the local government’s support.
“One of the best practices na nahimo didto, of course yung involvement talaga ng local government units natin with the support of our City Mayor and Vice Mayor. (One of the best practices during the campaign was, of course, the involvement of the local government unit with the support of our City Mayor and Vice Mayor) Also, our barangay captains in 182 barangays. Prior to the implementation of the campaign, we conducted an online meeting with the barangay captains,” she said.
She added that the Philippine Foundation for Vaccination also acknowledged the successful turnover of the Sabayang Patak Kontra Polio.
Acosta was grateful for the support received from the World Health Organization (WHO), DOH, United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), private doctors and pediatricians, and the CHO staff.
“Despite nga daghan ta og kaso sa Covid, naningkamot gyud ang mga health workers na ma reach out nila ang tanang bata (Despite the increasing number of Covid-19 cases, the health workers strived to reach out to all children,)” Acosta said.
Acosta added that the support and information dissemination from the media, and cooperation of the parents and guardians also contributed to the success of the campaign.
CHO is currently preparing for the upcoming month-long Measles-Rubella Campaign which will kick-off on October 26. Last week, the CHO conducted an online meeting and orientation with the barangay officials and health workers to ensure the safe implementation of the Measles-Rubella campaign.
Angkas to resume ops after completing requirements: DOTr
MANILA – Angkas and its motorcycle (MC) taxis will soon make a comeback in Metro Manila after the company com ...8 hours ago
2 Sarangani towns curb African swine fever outbreak
GENERAL SANTOS CITY – Veterinary authorities in Sarangani province declared as contained so far the outbreak ...14 hours ago
Guv OKs opening of major airports in Surigao Norte
BUTUAN CITY – All major airports in Surigao del Norte will be opened for commercial flights starting Dec. 1 t ...10 hours ago
Ex-police chief in Jolo ‘misencounter’ shot dead in Maguindanao
COTABATO CITY – Police authorities are hot on the trail of gunmen, who shot dead a former police chief o ...1 day ago