Firms' shutdown, workforce cut displace over 140K workers: DOLE
August 04, 2020 - Tuesday 3:08 PM by PNA
MANILA – Close to 141,000 workers were displaced due to shutdown and retrenchment by companies in the first eight months of the year, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) reported on Tuesday.
Based on the Job Displacement Monitoring Report by DOLE regional offices, a total of 140,958 employees were affected nationwide from 6,843 establishments from January 1 to August 2.
Of this number, 90 percent or 6,163 establishments reduced their workforce while the remaining 10 percent or 680 establishments have closed permanently.
Some 128,474 workers were retrenched while a total of 12,484 employees have been displaced due to permanent closure in Metro Manila.
The National Capital Region (NCR) recorded the highest number of displaced workers at 62,369, followed by Region 4-A (Calabarzon) with 31,935 workers affected from 1,292 establishments.
The least number of displaced workers was recorded in Region 9 (Zamboanga Peninsula) with 116 from 20 establishments.
The report added that the most number of workers displaced are from the sectors of administrative and support service at 24 percent or 34,154 and manufacturing at 14 percent or 19,557.
Meanwhile, a total of 107,152 establishments covering 3,023,601 workers are implementing flexible work arrangements and temporary closure.
The figures are based on the notices of shutdown and retrenchment submitted by the employers to the DOLE regional offices. Ferdinand Patinio
Cop slain in Tandag City encounter
BUTUAN CITY – A policeman belonging to the 2nd Surigao del Sur Provincial Mobile Force Company (2SDSPMFC) was killed in ...1 hour ago
Travel pass, early booking required to board prov’l buses: LTFRB
MANILA – Those eyeing to take public utility buses (PUB) in commuting to and from the National Capital Region ...15 hours ago
Sorghum introduced in Dinagat village as alternative to rice
CAGDIANAO, Dinagat Islands – To ensure food security amid the global coronavirus pandemic, sorghum has been i ...19 hours ago
Buying ‘Godfather’ shoes helps Marikina cobblers thrive
MANILA – The Marikina shoe industry, which has been the biggest part of the city’s economy, is str ...1 day ago