GenSan health exec, 126 others quarantined due to Covid exposure
August 08, 2020 - Saturday 12:08 PM by PNAON QUARANTINE. Dr. Lalaine Calonzo, epidemiology and surveillance head of the General Santos City Health Office. At least 127 persons, including Calonzo, have been quarantined after being traced as direct and indirect contacts of a returning resident who tested positive for Covid-19, she said on Friday (Aug. 7, 2020). (File photo courtesy of the city government)
GENERAL SANTOS CITY – At least 127 persons, including an official of the City Health Office (CHO), have been quarantined after being traced as direct and indirect contacts of a returning resident who has tested positive for the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19).
Dr. Lalaine Calonzo, head of the CHO’s epidemiology and surveillance unit, confirmed that she went on self-quarantine starting Friday after being exposed to the male patient, who turned out positive for the disease on August 5, based on confirmatory polymerase chain reaction (PCR) testing.
Being in charge of the quarantine arrangements for returning residents, Calonzo said she had direct contact with the patient but did not elaborate.
According to the protocol, she was required to undergo strict quarantine for 21 days and swab collection for PCR testing.
Calonzo said the patient was given clearance to undergo home quarantine upon arrival from Manila early last week and stayed in a designated isolation room.
He came home for his mother's wake and was subjected to PCR testing after manifesting suspected symptoms and eventually turned out positive for the disease.
His companion, however, tested negative, she said.
Calonzo said the patient is in stable condition and under close observation by medical personnel of the St. Elizabeth Hospital here.
She said most of the traced contacts had visited the wake of the patient’s mother in Barangay City Heights.
Sixteen of them were identified as direct contacts, comprising family members and relatives who reportedly met the patient upon arrival.
“They were all subjected to rapid antibody testing yesterday (Thursday) and came out negative,” Calonzo said in a radio interview on Friday afternoon.
She said all direct and indirect contacts, as well as the patient’s companion who came out negative in the PCR test, are under strict quarantine as a precautionary measure.
As of 6 p.m. on Friday, the city already recorded a total of 41 confirmed Covid-19 cases, with seven recoveries.
The CHO said no local transmission had been recorded in the area and all cases so far involved returning locally stranded individuals, overseas Filipino workers, and Authorized Person Outside Residence. (PNA)
Lanao del Norte opens first COVID-19 testing laboratory
Kapatagan, Lanao del Norte - This province inaugurated on Wednesday, September 30, 2020 its first COVID-19 molecular testing laborat ...10 hours ago
PET asks Comelec, SolGen to give side on 2016 VP race row
MANILA – The Supreme Court (SC), acting as the Presidential Electoral Tribunal (PET), has directed the Commission on Elections (Comelec) ...1 day ago
Suspect evades arrest, 2 other visitors nabbed in drug buy-bust in DavSur
Agents from Davao del Sur Provincial Office of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency Regional Office XI toget ...17 minutes ago
PNP deploys 22 nurses to SPMC
DAVAO CITY (PIA) -- A total of 22 nurses were deployed at the Southern Philippines Medical Center to assist in ...17 minutes ago