Go backs admin’s housing program
September 07, 2019 - Saturday 5:09 PM by MDM
Senator Christopher Lawrence Go has provided support for the Duterte administration’s aim to address the need for affordable, accessible, and quality housing in the country by filing Senate Bill No. 203, or the proposed National Housing Development, Production and Financing Act of 2019.
The bill mandates the crafting of a National Housing Development Production and Financing Program to be implemented by the Department of Human Settlements and Urban Development (DHSUD) and its attached key shelter agencies.
Based on the proposed measure, NHA will be the lead agency tasked to develop and implement various types of housing programs intended for the bottom 30% of the income population. Some of these programs are resettlements, housing programs for low-salaried government employees, settlements upgrading, housing programs of calamity victims, and land banking.
This as Go accompanied President Rodrigo Duterte in the groundbreaking ceremony of the relocation site for victims of the 2018 landslide in Naga City, Cebu, on Friday, September 6.
The government is expected to build 192 housing units in the area to be awarded to some of the families that were displaced when a landslide occurred in Sitios Sindulan III and Tagaytay of Barangay Tinaan on September 20, 2018.
Typhoon Ompong (Mangkhut) triggered the landslide, which affected more than 8,000 individuals and caused the death of more than 70 people.
“This event is a fulfillment of our promise to provide an affordable and sustainable resettlement site for the victims,” Duterte said in his speech.
The President also said that the beneficiaries will not be required to pay for the housing units.
“Akong order nimo, the National Housing Authority, nga ang balay, housing units, imong ihatag og gasa sa Naga permanent housing project,” he said. (I order the National Housing Authority to give as a gift the housing units in the Naga permanent housing project.)
“Kani tanan, ang balay ug ang yuta, ihatag na sa inyo libre,” he added.
The victims of the landslide had to be relocated to a two-hectare portion of the Balili property in Barangay Tinaan because their original settlement had been declared unsafe by the authorities. The Cebu provincial government donated the property to the city of Naga.
CDO city council okays anti-discrimination ordinance
CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY (MindaNews) — The Sangguniang Panlungsod here on Monday unanimously passed a landmark ordinanc ...4 hours ago
Hatid Tulong sends home at least 4,500 Mindanawons stranded in Manila
DAVAO CITY (MindaNews) – A total of 2,753 Mindanawons stranded in Manila were sent home by bus or boat from July 2 ...1 month ago
Rise in maternal deaths, unintended pregnancies feared due to COVID-19
MANILA -- The COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted family planning and maternal and newborn health services globall ...5 hours ago
ARBOs, Institutional Markets sa Region 8, makakatuwang ng gobyerno sa programa kontra gutom - Nograles
“Labingtatlong Agrarian Reform Beneficiaries Organizations at 17 Institutional Markets sa Region 8 ang m ...5 hours ago