More suspects in Pangasinan ex-guv ambush charged
August 01, 2020 - Saturday 4:08 PM by PNAFile photo shows former Pangasinan congressman Amado Espino Jr. in stable condition in a hospital following an ambush in San Carlos City on Sept. 11, 2019. Espino’s police aide Patrolman Richard Esguerra was killed while four others were injured. PHOTO BY AKSYON RADYO PANGASINAN FB PAGE)
SAN CARLOS CITY – Charges have been filed against 17 individuals identified as the newest suspects in the ambush of former Pangasinan governor Amado Espino Jr.
In a statement on Friday, the San Carlos City Police said the 17 individuals have been identified through witness statements and various evidence linking them to the crime.
Gunmen waylaid Espino’s convoy in Barangay Magtaking, San Carlos City on September 11 last year.
Espino survived the incident with injuries but his aide, Staff Sgt. Richard Esguerra, and his driver, Agapito Cuison, both died.
Charged were Armando Frias, Sherwin Diaz, Ricky Arambulo, Pong Tamondong, Cesar Agbayani, Arnulfo Alipio, Ernesto Frias Jr., Ronald Anthony Romero, Ernesto Agbayano, former Pangasinan board member Raul Sison, a certain Ruseller aka “Sel”, Fidel “Kalbo”, and five other "John Does".
Cases of murder, frustrated murder, and attempted murder have been filed against the suspects at the San Carlos City Prosecutor’s Office.
The same cases were also filed against 22 suspects in October 2019.
The San Carlos City police, along with the Special Investigation Task Group Espino, credited the identification of the suspects to its continuous and relentless investigation, with its constant follow-up operations.
Meanwhile, Sison’s involvement in the ambush was confirmed by Pangasinan Police Director, Col. Redrico Maranan, in an interview over DWCM Aksyon Radyo Pangasinan last month.
Sison succumbed to the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) in March. (PNA)
PNP COVID-19 cases reach 2,492
MANILA – The number of police officers infected with the coronavirus disease (Covid-19) has reached 2,492. As of 6 p.m. Sunday ...2 hours ago
Hatid Tulong sends home at least 4,500 Mindanawons stranded in Manila
DAVAO CITY (MindaNews) – A total of 2,753 Mindanawons stranded in Manila were sent home by bus or boat from July 2 ...1 month ago
Poor will be prioritized for COVID-19 vaccine: Bong Go
Senator and chair of the Senate Committee on Health Christopher “Bong” Go said that the Philippine ...1 hour ago
Don't abuse MECQ travel exemption: Eleazar
MANILA – Joint Task Force COVID Shield commander, Lt. Gen. Guillermo Eleazar, on Sunday called on persons wit ...1 hour ago