August 26, 2019 - Monday
Weather icon
24.85 ℃, Overcast clouds
Davao City, Philippines

PH to review MOU with Kuwait after OFW's death

May 21, 2019 - Tuesday 9:05 AM by Jon Joaquin

Malacañang on Monday expressed support for the review of the Philippines' memorandum of understanding (MOU) with Kuwait following the murder of an overseas Filipino worker (OFW) last week.

“The Secretary of Labor (Silvestre Bello III) has already issued an official statement. He is putting the government in Kuwait to task for the murder of our countryman,” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a Palace media briefing.

“I think we should (review the MOU) because according to Secretary Bello there has been a breach in the agreement signed by the two countries,” he added.

Panelo said Bello has already instructed officials in the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) and the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (PALO) in Kuwait to track down the agency that recruited Constancia Dayag, who died upon arriving at a Kuwait hospital last week.

According to news reports, Dayag's body “bore various contusions and hematoma, as well as signs of sexual assault.”

The MOU between the Philippines and Kuwait was signed on May 11, 2018 and requires the two countries "to uphold ethical recruitment policies, systems, and procedures for the recruitment and employment of domestic workers subject to their laws and regulations."

The agreement was signed after President Rodrigo Duterte ordered a ban on the deployment of Filipino workers to Kuwait after the discovery of the body of 29-year-old Joanna Demafelis inside a freezer in Kuwait's Al Shaab dsitrict.

Panelo said the President is waiting for the official investigation and autopsy before taking steps regarding this matter.

Advertisement
Advertisement