Police ramp up security as filing of candidacy starts
October 11, 2018 - Thursday 5:10 AM by Ayan Mellejor
The Philippine National Police (PNP) is ramping up its security measures to prevent violence and other incidents as candidates for elective positions begin trooping to Commission on Elections (Comelec) offices throughout the country today to file their respective Certificates of Candidacy (CoCs).
In Davao Region, regional police director Chief Superintendent Marcelo Morales has ordered all police units to strengthen security measures at the checkpoints and other vital installations.
Morales said he committed a full deployment of police personnel to prevent untoward incidents from happening during the filing period.
“All necessary security forces and security measures will be deployed and installed during the filing of Certificate of Candidacy to pre-empt and prevent mobs and untoward incidents during this period,” he said.
Morales also called on the candidates and their supporters to be calm and vigilant so as not to hamper the electoral process. He urged them to immediately report violations and suspicious persons — even unlawful acts of Comelec personnel — police and security forces.
During the AFP-PNP press corps briefing on Wednesday at the Royal Mandaya Hotel, Davao City Police Office (DCPO) spokesperson Senior Inspector Maria Theresita Gaspan said there will be full deployment of police personnel with more focus on the Magsaysay Park — which is under the area of the Sta. Ana Police Station — where the candidates and supporters will be filing their CoCs.
Gaspan said the DCPO personnel will be supported by the City Mobile Force.
“There will be maximum police visibility,” Gaspan told reporters.
The military forces are also ready to provide security in the city’s outskirts.
Captain Jerry Lamosao, the spokesperson of the 10th Infantry Division, said the troops will be visible in the communities, especially those that were previously placed in the Election Watch-list Areas (EWAS)
In Davao City, Lamosao said, the Task Force Davao will still conduct foot patrol operations.
LOOK: Road accident leaves 8 dead in Davao City
IN PHOTOS: Rescuers from Central 911 pull out bodies from under sacks of rice from a trailer truck that had rammed into several vehi ...6 days ago
NUJP condemns ‘mistaken identity’ arrest of journalist
DAVAO CITY -- The National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP) on Monday condemned the arrest of journalist a ...1 week ago
China calls sinking of PH boat an 'ordinary maritime accident'
Beijing, China | AFP | -- The sinking of a Filipino fishing boat by a suspected Chinese trawler in disputed waters wa ...4 days ago
Palace calls on China to sanction those involved in boat collision
Malacañang on Thursday called on the Chinese government to look into the recent vessel collision in the West Philippine Sea and sanction tho ...4 days ago